DEFENDANT ACQUITTED ON NINE CHARGES OF DRUGS TRAFFICKING AND FIREARMS POSSESSION (June 2011).
I write to thank you for the valued assistance that you gave in this case and I feel sure that your tenacity and thoroughness enabled Counsel to put forward submissions in relation to the DNA evidence which most certainly assisted our client. I was very impressed with the way you carried out your investigations on the DNA evidence and cannot thank you enough. If I should need any expert reports in regards to DNA evidence in the future, I will certainly have no hesitation in contacting you.
40: July 2014: In a case involving a road traffic accident, severe injury and alcohol: "Your assistance has been very much appreciated in this case".
39: June 2014: In a case involving accusation of dealing cannabis, deemed for personal medical use (community service order): Comment by solicitor: "A fabulous result!".
38: June 2014 In a case involving DNA (Class A Drugs, Firearms and Ammunition): "Thanks again for your report, which I believe is very useful."
37: May 2014 In a private case involving a landlord, where a tenant in one of his many properties had secreted a medium size cannabis growing operation: "I have passed your CV to the client and we both were very impressed with your credentials." "I spoke to the client today. He is very pleased and wants me to go ahead with instructing you." "Thank you (for the report), This is a huge amount of work you have put in and I am sure that the Crown are going to be "blown away" by it!"
36: April 2014 In a private client case involving possible auto-brewery syndrome (Candida) (alcohol serious road traffic accident) in a Eurozone Country where the case proceeded to the European Court of Human Rights: "Thank you very much for all of your help and support, I am very lucky to have met you."
35: March 2014: From an instructing QC Senior Counsel in a murder case involving Toxicology and DNA: "Please could you give Dr Douse our sincere thanks and appreciation for his report. It has been invaluable in helping us focus on the delivery of our case."
34: Dec 2013: Instructing Eurozone client's comments in regard of a 3 year involvement with a road traffic accident case involving possible Meiteisho (Autobrewery Syndrome), and where the threat of imprisonment, confiscation of driving license, the need to retake the driving test and also a driving ban were avoided: "I feel I must write to tell you the happy news. I will get to keep my drivers licence. In my country it is not the Courts that handle those things, so I sent evidence to the lady official, and she made an exemption for me. Isn't that beautiful. I need not tell my son the car is gone. I will never forget the huge amount of work you put into this".
33. May 2013: Solicitors comment in a DNA case at the Central Criminal Court: "..I know that you are excellent and will do your best to achieve solicitors or Counsel's requests at short notice..."
32. May 2013: A case of seized chemicals (explosives): "He (the client) was extremely pleased with the result, and asked me to pass on his thanks to you for your assistance".
31. COMMENT FROM A PRIVATE CLIENT (INTERNATIONAL EUROZONE) (April 2013) Thank you again for the fantastic report!
30: CASE INVOLVING TRACES OF EXPLOSIVES ON A RUCKSACK RECENTLY TAKEN TO PAKISTAN (Instruction received Good Friday Lunchtime, Full report delivered by Easter Tuesday 0900) "Thank you very much for your speedy work on this!" 29: CASE INVOLVING COCAINE/TRAMADOL/ALCOHOL RTA (Defendant aquitted) (April 2013) "Thank you once again for your assistance and efficiency in this matter."
28: Comments from a barrister in a DNA case involving drugs arms and ammunition (21/03/13): "The DNA report is very good...."
27: Prepared a report involving the likely effects of very high alcohol levels and the drug Pregabalin, which resulted in the defendant receiving a minimal sentence.
26: From a London Barrister in a case involving the requirement for the preparation of an urgent complex DNA report (26/11/12): "Thank you. I appreciate your getting this to me so quickly". For further urgent additions to a DNA report: "Thank you, once again, much appreciated!"
25: Prosecution expert (Met Police Evidence Recovery Unit) written observations and assessment of the Defence Expert's skills carrying out an examination of multiple exhibits in a DNA clean room (November 2012): "All relevant laboratory procedures and precautions followed."
24: Solicitors Comment in a case involving burglary (touch DNA) (Aquitted) (Bristol Youth) (October 2012) "May I take this opportunity to thank you for all your endeavours in this case."
23: Firm of Swansea Solicitors following provision of reports in a number of cases: "We thank you again for your continued assistance to this firm and look forward to instructing you again in the near future."
22: Comment of the Guildford Hospital UK Insulin Analysis Expert upon witnessing the first detection of a trace of Insulin in a vanishingly small 4.5 year old blood sample by UHPLC Q-TOF MS-MS, in the case of the Leeds Insulin Serial Killer: "That was good science!".
21: Case involving accusation of the intent to manufacture crystal methamphetamine (acquitted): "Thank you very much for all your help in this case."
20: Case ivolving Legal Highs (2012): "Your credentials speak for themselves".
19. “I thought you should know that C was acquitted by the unanimous verdict of section 18 GBH with intent! They were deliberating for 1 hour and 20 minutes(including the lunch adjournment).
I have no doubt that this was largely due to your excellent efforts on his behalf without which I feel certain that he would have been convicted. Thank you for all your help which was above and beyond the call of duty!
I feel certain that we will meet again in the future and I will not hesitate in recommending your services to anyone who needs an expert in your field”.
18. “Yes, that’s perfect thank you. Exactly what we were looking for!”
(Air Rage Urgent report Alcohol/Valium 3 days notice).
17. Case involving saliva DNA (Robbery): "The client was acquitted this afternoon when the prosecution withdrew the allegation. This was in no small part due to your excellent report that was very well written."
16. Explosives case at the Central Criminal Court: 22/06/12: "I thought that you would like to know that E was acquitted today. He asked me to pass on his thanks to you for all your hard work." "Just to let you know H was found NOT GUILTY. Many thanks for all your kind assistance which greatly helped getting this great result."
15. 11/3/2012: Comment by a barrister in an explosive case in regard of instruction of a suitable expert: "It is unlikely that the prosecution will be able to instruct someone more distinguished."
14. 27/1/12 Comments by the Judge as a result of our report, in mitigation, in a case involving ricin and explosive manuals: " I accept that all of this material is available on the internet and can be brought from retailers such as Amazon and I accept that some of it is out of date."
Comment by a solicitor in a case where a charge at Taunton Crown Court of heroin possession with intent to supply, was reduced to that of personal possession for the defendant's own use: "Thank you for your report. It was extremely helpful."
12. Comment by a barrister at Taunton Crown Court in a case of rape of a minor (DNA): "You are so perceptive!"
11. 28/11/11: Comment by Counsel at the end of proceedings in a case involving instruction manuals concerning explosives and toxins (Ricin):
(Instructed Friday, attended Manchester Crown Court Monday) " I am so glad that you were able to come!"
10. 22/11/11: Comment by Manchester solicitor upon prompt, urgent provision of quote and explosive and toxin (Ricin) CV's in terrorist case: "Excellent!".
9. 17/11/11: "I thank you again for the valuable report you prepared, which by the judge's admission carried a great deal of weight".
8. 10/11/11.....I can confirm receipt of your report and am grateful for the timely manner in which you have prepared the same, given the recent difficulties...
The report does go some way into undermining the Crown’s stance regarding the DNA on the duvet and no doubt will prove useful at the trial.
I thank you for your time and effort and look forward to instructing you in the future".
7. 27/10/11 Outcome of the case: Defendant was completely acquitted from a charge of aggravated drunken driving. This case is believed to be a World First, where the defence was primarily that alcohol detected was likely to have arisen as a result of endogenous production by fermentation in the intestinal system of the defendant. (His intestinal system having suffered significant permanent physiological damage as a result of a previous severe infection.)
6. "In a case involving gunshot residue at the Central Criminal Court, the prosecution barrister recommended that Dr Douse should be thanked by the Judge for bringing to the Court's attention the recent explosives publications involving the routine screening of public places for traces of explosives, which indicated that police transports and premises were likely to be contaminated with gunshot residue as a result of the presence of police and seized firearms and other contaminated exhibits. This led to the acquittal of the defendant in this case."
5. 6/10/2011: COMMENT FROM A PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL CLIENT (represented through a local solicitor (Eurozone)) Before outcome of the trial was known: "Very nice to meet you in person....." "Because to me you are a rare blessing, someone a bit like my grandfather, who puts quality and pride in his work far above money."
4. "Dr Douse is the kind of expert witness you would wish for, if you, or a beloved relative is in trouble. Suddenly I found myself distant from people that would charge me for every second of their precious time. And in dialogue with an interested, well established, yet curious person. That would not stop until there was some order in the chaos and disbelief, that occurred after being accused of what could not be true. When even I got tired of myself for sending so many e-mail, he assured me that he was not, and that every detail was important. That seems to be the way he gets results, that is by seriously contemplating details, that may not seem important, or even worth mentioning, to a person uneducated in Dr Douses field of knowledge. If there is anything in the scientific literature that may support your claim, it seemed he would find it. And if that was’nt certain he did not hesitate to arrange individual experiments of his own, being a progressive established scientist in his own right. Yet he took my own ideas and investigations seriously, respectfully, and generously admitted when I had a point. Even though some of them must have seemed stupid, in the eyes of a highly educated person, in his field. That was the way I experienced a steady flow of progression, that resulted in a well written, comprehensive report, finished off by an impressive list of Dr Douse’s previous accomplishments, education, and research, in such a manner that it would be hard to have any doubts left about his qualifications to write such a report. He offered to do a briefing with my solicitor, that had problems understanding all aspects of the complex field of science that it was all about, and he even lighted up the room doing it, with a sense of humour. He also did a well prepared appearance in court, properly dressed, and gave a professional impression. All that is from what I can imagine all you could ask for. But on top of that it was really pleasant to spend some time with him, picking him up from the airport. He offered to tie my tie (dressing casually as a modern IT expert, I had forgotten the procedure), and insisted to pay for dinner after the big day in court was over. Like a friend on a rainy day. Thank God I am still distant from those that would charge me for every second of their precious time, ‘cause who could afford to pay for all that time, that it actually took?"
3. 23/9/2011: DRUGS CRYSTAL METH LAB "I am delighted to be able to report that Mr X was granted bail at the Crown Court.. based to a large extent on your report................I am hopeful that they will agree that they do not have a case and they offer no evidence..."
2. 1/8/2011 Bristol Solicitor comment relating to a Murder Trial in 2011 (where both written and oral evidence was given), when requested, in writing, to provide a reference to the UK Expert Witness Guide (JS Publications): "It would be a pleasure!"
1. 2001 Lockerbie Judgment (7) (30/01/2001): "...there was also the evidence from Dr Douse who has specialised for many years in the trace analysis of drugs and explosives.... He pioneered the use of capillary gas chromatography, which is now a well recognised procedure."